Parents are understandably stressed by the COVID-19 pandemic – economic strain, health worries, being homebound with kids all day long, being teacher and parent, and more.
Acknowledging the stress and isolation parents and caregivers face, a team from Seattle Children’s and Harborview Abuse and Trauma Center worked together to create a quick resource for families to help manage in-the-moment pressure and anger. Review the tips below and Take 5…
Being a parent right now is very challenging. You CAN do this!
When you’re frustrated, Take 5.
- Stop. Step Away. Give yourself space.
- Take a short break to breathe. Allow your heart rate to return to normal.
- Remind yourself, “I can do this” or “It’s important to stay calm.”
- Ask yourself, “How can I handle this in a way that I will feel good about?”
- If possible, ask for support from a partner or family member or call the numbers below.
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 for crisis counseling any day and time.
- Parent Trust for Washington Children, The Family Help Line: 1-800-932-4673
- Harborview Abuse and Trauma Center, Support and Tips to Manage Behavior: 206-744-1600
- Disaster Distress Hotline: 1-800-985-5990
- Seattle Children’s Coping and COVID
- Parent Support During COVID Take5 Flyer