Trick or Treat at the Autism Center!
Seattle Children’s Autism Center holds an annual Trick or Treat practice party in the welcoming halls of the Autism Center. A (very) autism-friendly event for the entire family. Bring friends! All welcome at this relaxed fun-filled event designed for your family.
Come enjoy door-to-door trick or treating, costumes, treats, games, prizes, and our memorable sensory room. Dr. Travis Nelson from The Center for Pediatric Dentistry will be on hand with toothbrushes and non sugar goodie bags. Saturday October 26th from 10 am – noon. Seattle Children’s Autism Center 4909 25th Ave NE, Seattle 98105. Plenty of parking in front. Lots of volunteers to play with your goblins. Come feel at home in the hallways of the Autism Center.
8 tips for a safe and enjoyable Halloween for your child with autism:
- Let your child practice wearing their costume at home. This gives you time to make any last minute modifications and time for your child to get used to it.
- Write a social story describing what your child will do on Halloween.
- Create a visual schedule. This might include a map of where you will go.
- Practice trick or treating in a familiar environment. Visit friends and family, if possible, even neighbors.
- Keep trick or treating short and comfortable. Consider letting siblings (that might want to go longer) go trick or treating with a friend.
- Use role play to practice receiving and giving treats.
- If your child has difficulty with change, you may want to decorate your home gradually.
- Remember, Halloween looks different for every child on the spectrum and you know your child best. Use your intuition and if you only make it to three houses, that’s okay!
Hope to see you there!
Here are a couple links to helpful Halloween information:
All About Halloween – A Personalized Social Story
Hang this sign on your door or window to let visitors know that your home is autism friendly
5 Ways To Help Your Special Kid Love Halloween As Much As You Do!
Autism Speak: Happy Halloween – Making the holiday fun for everyone