In wrapping up, whether you are considering discrete trial training, diet modifications, or social skills training, here are some questions to ask yourself and/or a professional you trust:
• Is there evidence to support the effectiveness of this treatment?
• Does this treatment fit your child’s developmental level and learning style and address his specific challenges?
• Is the treatment affordable to you in terms of time, energy and money?
• Are there clearly defined goals and methods for gathering data and measuring progress.
• Does the treatment include training and coaching for parents so that learning is generalized to home and other settings?
Again, we hope this series has given you some tools you can use to wisely navigate the world of treatments available for autism.